School Placement/Admission:

  • What are the requirements to secure an admission into Canadian colleges or Universities (undergraduate level)? Every college and university has its own specific policy in terms of admission requirements. This information is usually available on the institutions website. If a student is unsure of these requirements, It is best to contact the school directly for further clarification. However, commonly, a student must have successfully completed the equivalent of a Canadian grade 12 to secure admission. For Nigerians, WAEC or NECO with credits in relevant subjects. Some schools require students taking standardized exams such as the TOEFL, IELTS OR SAT. Admission requirements may sometimes vary in terms of choice program.
  • What are the admission requirements for a Masters or Ph.D. program in Canada (post-graduate level)? Main requirement is successful completion a Bachelor’s degree from a recognized institution. While students with higher GPA’s are accepted directly for Master’s degree, lower GPA’s may consider pursuing a post graduate diploma first. Potential international students may sometimes be required to take standardized exams like the GMAT or GRE while other require work experience in relevant field. For Ph.D. level, evidence of research projects and successful completion of a Master’s degree are general requirement; this however varies and it is advised that a student’s contacts the University before putting in an admission application.
  • How long does admission application process take in Canada?  Typically, admission process takes between 2 – 8weeks depending on the institution.  
  • When does Canadian institutions admit international students? Major intakes for Canadian schools are January (Spring), May (Summer) and September (Fall). It is advised that as an international student, you should apply for admission at least 6 months before your planned start date
  • Are my grades transferable as an international student applying to Canada? For transfer of credits, every institution has its own policy. It is advised you contact your school to find out how this can be applied towards your planned program. This also applies toNigerian OND holders.
  • Are standardized exams compulsory for me as an international student? Depending on the institution and program you are applying to, you may be asked to write standardized exams such as the IELTS, TOEFL, GRE or GMAT. Even as an international student from an English speaking country, your Canadian institution reserves the right to as ask for a proof of English proficiency. This is however not the case for all institutions in Canada.
  • Can I get scholarship to study in Canada? There are so many scholarship options available to international students. These scholarships are mainly based on merit. So, if you would like to be considered, check the schools for its requirements.
  • Is there an age limit to study in Canada? While there is no official age limit to study in Canada, some level of discretion is exercised considering the academic level you are applying to.
  • What are the housing options available to me in Canada as an international student? There are 3 main housing options available to international students coming to study in Canada
  1. On-Campus housing – This is where the housing facility is located within the college or university. This has its benefits such as proximity of classrooms, school library, e.t.c. if you are considering this housing option, you must apply through the school on time because spaces as very limited.
  2. Off-Campus housing – These are housing facilities that are located outside the university campus. This is recommended for mature students, international students coming in groups or with family members.
  3. Homestay –  This housing facility gives you that opportunity to live with a Canadian family. You are rented a space in their home and treated like family. Depending on the package you apply to, you may be provided meals by your homestay family or you may decide to get yours.

Canadian Study Visa processes and procedure:

  • Now that I have my admission, what next? Every international student needs a study permit in other to study in Canada. So, once you have received your acceptance letter, you may proceed with your visa application. You can either apply for your study permit online or via paper. It is totally up to the client to choose that channel of application. You application should be accompanied with all necessary documents.
  • What do I need to apply for a Canadian study permit? Documents for study permit depends on a number of things i.e level of study, background, marital status, e.t.c. Typically, you will need to prove to a visa officer that you are a genuine student and that you will leave Canada upon the completion of your program since study permits are considered temporary visas. Home ties, financial support are some of the things considered in reaching a visa decision.
  • How long does it take to issue a Canadian study permit? The Canadian immigration website is constantly updated to reflect the latest processing times. It is advised that you check for the latest update from the CIC so enable you enough time to prepare. For Nigerians, applications are received at the Visa collections center.
  • Do I need an interview for my visa application? This is not a common practice for Canadian study permits. However, if the visa office finds it necessary, you may be invited for an interview at their office.
  • Will I be needing a medical examination for my study permit? A medical exam is required for all applicants that intend to study for over 6 months in Canada. CIC has its designated hospitals and you will be advised to undergo this medical exam at a particular point in your application.
  • Can someone else sponsor my education in Canada asides my parents? Anybody can sponsor your education in Canada. This includes a company, agency or family member.
  • Is a study permit/visa guaranteed? Study permit approval is not 100% guaranteed. In fact, it is a criminal offence for anyone to guarantee a study permit approval. This why we encourage you to get the X-factor and choose us to handle your applications.
  • Can a family member accompany me to Canada? Absolutely! You will have to apply for their visas separately and prove that you have sufficient funds to support the family member(s) and yourself. Accompanying family member can only be a  spouse and/or child(ren).
  • Do I need to pay my tuition fee before applying for my study permit/visa? While you are not mandated to pay your full tuition fees, school policies differ. Some institutions may request international students to pay a deposit which is applied towards your tuition, others may not.
  • Can I apply for my study permit by myself? You may decide to apply for your study permit yourself or use an authorized representative. If you’re using a representative, ensure they are either an immigration lawyer or consultant.
  • My application was refused, what can I do? Unsuccessful visa applicants are usually welcome to reapply as long as there is a change in their status. It is important to address the written reasons given for the refusal in the first place before reapplication.

Work permits

  • Now that I’ve secured my study permit, what next? After securing your work permit, you need to immediately start your travel arrangement. Be sure to carry with you all necessary documents as you may be required to present some at the port of entry.
  • Can I work as an international student in Canada? Yes. A full time registered international student can work 20 hours (part-time) during active school sessions and up to 40 hours (full-time) during holidays and scheduled breaks. An international students may work on-campus or off-campus. Quite a number of institutions also offer internships and Co-Ops. An international student will have to be in good academic standing, have a valid visa, secure a work permit and meet other eligibility criteria imposes by CIC (Citizenship & Immigration Canada) to be able to work.
  • What types of jobs can I secure as an international student? There are so many work opportunities available to international students studying in Canada. You will have to apply and secure a work permit to be able to reach potential employers.
  • Can my spouse work while I study in Canada? As an international student with a valid visa in Canada, your spouse can work provided they apply and secure a work permit. The validity of their work permit is usually the same as yours.
  • Can I work after my studies in Canada? Studying in Canada comes with many benefits, one of which is the privilege of being eligible for a Canadian permanent residency. International students who have graduated from a Canadian university or college can work for up 2-3 years to qualify for the Canadian PR. You will need a work permit to be able to work after graduation.

We welcome your further questions. Please email us on xportiaglobalconsulting@gmail.com.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *